KTS (Klippel Trenauanay Syndrome)

From a Dear Friend of Mind... You never really know the whole story. I had never heard of this.  Hopefully this can change someones life.


For some reason I have felt compelled to share a little about my story lately. I think most people view me as a Personal Trainer, instructor, fitness person, etc. and don't realize that I struggle with health issues. Most people do not know (and I don't share this often), that I have health struggles just like many of you. 

I was born with a very rare circulatory condition called KTS (Klippel Trenauanay Syndrome). When I was born it looked like I was burnt from my neck down on my left side and many varicosities in my left leg. Doctors had a hard time diagnosing it, and at 6 months old at U of M they were able to determine what it was. As you can see my entire left side is smaller than my right. My left arm and leg are 1 1/2 inches smaller than my right, and even the circumference of my arm/leg/hip, etc. is smaller on my left side. Unfortunately my left leg looks much bigger due to the blood pooling which causes swelling and reduces circulation. When I was younger I worked hard to hide my condition, but as I get older, I realize maybe my story could help someone. I would watch myself in the mirror and train my gait (walking) to be straight, when I stand I shift my weight so you can't see my hips are off, etc. 

Despite what doctors have told me, which many doctors have given false advice and could have steered me in the wrong direction, I made the choice at a young age to beat this. I am very active, have 4 amazing kids (which having kids was risky due to blood clotting issues), I have never been on any medications (thanks to Shaklee), and do not use this as an excuse to not do anything or have anyone feel sorry for me. 

We need to be thankful for whatever God has given to us and realize that no matter what the obstacle or challenge is that we face, persevering through will only make us stronger in the long run. So, let's make everyday amazing! I hope by sharing this that it may help someone, and somehow I can motivate you through this new year and in the future.
 Amanda V. *Sorry, not the best picture quality.


No comments: